Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I have a tilted uterus

4.29.11
I am just now getting that I will be learning a lot about myself during this pregnancy. Grahm and I decided to try out OHSU's Midwifery Center. I have always known I wanted as natural a birth as possible with the assurance of modern day medicine near by. After reading about the many birth options Portland has to offer, we decided on the midwifes at OHSU. What won me over is many of the midwifes practiced home births in the past. My belief of birth is that the body is meant (most of the time) to birth babies on its own. So it's best to let it take its course and do its thing without interfering.

We met with the first of several midwifes at the center. Her name was Nora and she had a past as a Naturopath. We talking about our medical history, our birthing wishes, the hospital, procedures and I had an exam. That's when she told me my uterus was titled. No problem she assured me, it would straighten out as the baby grow. I was 10 weeks along so when she said we were going to try to hear the babies heartbeat she cautioned that due to the tilted uterus and being early on, we may not be able to hear it. Yep, she couldn't find it. My thoughts have always be a bit dark in these kind of situations - What if I am not really pregnant or the baby has died? I luckily had an ultra sound right after so Nora said she was going to call ahead to say that if "they" didn't find a heart beat to give her a call. Scary. As Grahm and I walked to the ultrasound office I kinda got freaked.

As soon as the ultrasound tech started the ultra sound she found the flickering little heart beat beating at 164 beats per minute. What a relief. Its was about 20 minutes later that I remembered my original fear of the ultrasound, and that was of finding multiples.

OHSU

No comments:

Post a Comment